Enovix is seeking a Coating Process Development Engineer who can develop and scale-up processes and equipment for coating battery electrode materials. The Coating Process Development Engineer will be responsible for developing and sustaining roll-to-roll coating, slurry mixing, calendering and metrology operations.
- Develop processes to optimize the properties of coated electrodes.
- Define and develop novel methods of coating and patterning thick film electrode materials.
- Transfer existing R&D processes from bench-scale to high-volume manufacturing.
- Interface with internal and external suppliers and customers to define thick-film coating requirements.
- Define equipment, materials and process requirements for roll-to-roll coating, slurry mixing, calendering, slitting and metrology operations.
- Setup and maintain SPC charts for critical process parameters.
- Create and maintain SOPs and work instructions.
- Lead troubleshooting efforts to understand and mitigate process and quality excursions.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science, chemical engineering, physics, chemistry or related discipline required (master’s degree preferred).
- Experience in an R&D or manufacturing setting developing roll-to-roll coating processes and equipment including slurry mixing, slot die coating, calendering, slitting.
- Experience in the design, development, manufacturing or qualification of Li-ion batteries.
- Proven track-record of solving problems in the scale-up of R&D processes to high-volume manufacturing.
- Familiarity with SPC, DOE and FMEA methodologies.
Enovix is building a next-generation lithium-ion battery to increase energy density and improve safety. Our patented 3D cell architecture enables a high-capacity silicon anode to increase energy density by 30% to 80%, depending on cell size. And our patented 3D cell architecture includes features that reduce the danger of explosion and fire from thermal runaway. We’re backed by strategic relationships with Intel, Qualcomm, and Cypress and over $150 million in venture, strategic, and private funding. We’ve been awarded over 50 patents and have over 50 more pending that will create sustainable enterprise value and provide a competitive barrier for years to come.